how many visitors

2009年6月24日水曜日

Where's my Cabbage?


The word for countryside, 田舎, consists of rice field () and house (). For us residents that is mostly what surrounds our daily life. Of course there is nature too: high mountains, rivers and picturesque sea, an abundance of animals, birds and insects. Since coming to Tango this is the aspect of Japan that I have come to appreciate and enjoy.


Each week I run around the rice fields breathing fresh air and listening to frogs singing. I say hello to everybody I pass by, and they say hello back to me. I know some of them, but they all know me.


I believe that the most defining aspect of Japan is people. In the time I’ve been here I’ve had the opportunity to teach thousands of people and meet many more. Through them I have come to learn about Japan more intimately than I ever could by other means. And this has only been enhanced by the people and relationship orientation of the Tango countryside communities.


One of my weekly rituals is to either climb a mountain to the top and look down on the fields and houses, or to go to the beach and see the sunset. Both are great for putting little things in perspective and reminding me of how lucky I am to be here. Unfortunately I won’t be here forever.


Yesterday a friend’s vegetable garden was ravaged by a gang of monkeys. They were devastated that their cabbages had been destroyed. I excitedly asked them if they expected the monkeys back any time soon. I’ve always wanted to play with monkeys.


Randall G.

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿